Friday, April 5, 2013

Debut Author Laura Nowlin Interview


Welcome to the blog, Laura Nowlin!! :)



Debut author Laura Nowlin offered to do an interview for today to promote her book, If He Had Been With Me, which was published by Sourcebooks Fire at the beginning of the month.  Please give Laura Nowlin a warm welcome!!




~Her Awesome Debut Book~

If He Had Been With Me
by Laura Nowlin
Pages: 336
Release Date: April 1, 2013
by Sourcebooks Fire

If he had been with me, he wouldn't have died. Throughout their whole childhood, Finn and Autumn were inseparable—they finished each other's sentences, they knew just what to say when the other person was hurting. But one incident in middle school puts them in separate social worlds come high school, and Autumn has been happily dating James for the last 2 years. But she's always wondered what if... The night she's about to get the answer is also one of terrible tragedy.




~Get to know Laura Nowlin~



Bio:

Laura Nowlin holds a B.A. in English with an emphasis in Creative Writing from Missouri StateUniversity. Her short stories have appeared in The Moon City Review and STEM. In addition to being ambitious writer Laura is also an avid reader who believes that books allow her to live many lives in one lifetime. When she isn’t at home agonizing over her own novels Laura works at the public library where the patrons give her plenty of inspiration for her writing. She lives in St. Louis with her musician husband, neurotic dog, and psychotic cat.





Connect:



~Her Interview~

1. Why did you decide to become a writer?
I'm not sure if I can say that I actually decided to become a writer, it was more a realization that I needed my life to be about writing, and that I had to pursue publication in order to be fulfilled. There is a quote that is often hotly debated in the writing community, "Writers are born, not made." That quote expresses my experience, but many other writers argue ( in well written, articulate essays) that writers can be made. In the end, I can only speak for myself.

2. Who were your biggest influences?
As a YA contemporary author, I have to say that I learned a lot from Sarah Dessen's Keeping the Moon.  More generally speaking, I deeply adore everything written by J.D.Salinger, and I can only wish to someday write like Miranda July or Catherine Valente.

3. Where do you like to write?
I have blocked off a tiny corner of my apartment with a desk facing the window. I've covered the walls there with things I find inspiring, pictures and quotes and little knick-knacks of special meaning. A close friend once pointed out that my desk resembles a shrine more than an office.

4. Do you have a special routine you like to do before you write?
I suppose that only thing I could call a routine is putting in my earbuds and pulling up itunes. I always listen to music while I write, it helps me to access the emotions I need.

5. When and how did you get the idea for If He Had Been with Me?
I dreamed the premise of If He had Been with Me. I woke up in the middle of the night, went to my office/shrine, wrote the first chapter, and went back to bed. It's rare for me to be struck so suddenly with inspiration, so I knew this was a story I really wanted to pursue.

6. Is there another book in the works? If so, what can we expect?
There is another book in the works, or really its kind of three different projects and I don't really know which is going to happen first. Trust me though, there will be another novel before too long.

This or That


1. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?
Hmmm...Dark chocolate, but it's a tough call, right?

2. Cats or dogs?
I own and love one of each, and I just can't chose between my babies!

3. Hardcover, paperback or ebook?
I love how ebooks are bringing out more readers, but I love the smell of paper and ink! Paperbacks are cheaper and are easier to fit in a purse, but if I really love a book then I want a heavy hardcover on my shelf.

Favorites

1. Movie?
Black Swan is my favorite movie, because it is a brilliantly crafted story that perfectly express the darker side of being an artist.

2. Ice cream flavor?
I'm gonna go with Cookie Dough, but that has more to do with my love of raw cookie dough than ice cream.

3. Animal?
My favorite animal always has been and always will be the Narwhal! If you don't know what a Narwhal is then I have amazing news for you: underwater unicorns are real!

4. Book?
I can't chose just one! Here's a quick list of the top if my head in no particular order. A Prayer for Owen Meany, Franny and Zooey, The Magicians, Berlin Blues, A Wrinkle in Time.... we could be here all day...

5. Actor and actress?
Huh, I guess I don't have one. Weird.

6. Fictional character?
One? Just one? Again? Okay...Hedda Gabler from Ibsen's play wins out, but only by a margin.


THANKS SO MUCH FOR STOPPING BY TODAY LAURA NOWLIN!  IT WAS A BLAST!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're reading this, you're thinking of commenting, which means something is on your mind. Share it! I want to hear what you have to say, and I would love it if you joined the discussion.

designed by Charming Templates